Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Ohhhh! You need to pull over!



After our wonderful experience in South Dakota*, we decide to drive straight through to Minnesota. We realized we wouldn't get in until about 3:00am, but hey the kids would fall asleep and we could just talk and it would be great!
About 11:30, Sophie is still awake and whining, Brit is slapping his face, and I'm pounding on my legs. We know we are so close, but I tell Brit he would have to do it on his own because I couldn't handle it. By 12:00 I tell him just to get off the freeway and find a hotel.
You would think the good night sleep would make us all refreshed and ready for those last few hours we had, but all the crap in the car, crap in our stomaches, and crappy attitudes had finally gotten the best of us.
I decide to drive because Brit drove all the day before. Minnesota welcomed us the night before and the day after with slushy frigid rain. About 30 minutes into driving Brit says "Ohhh I think you need to pull over. Pull Over!" He was done for the next 8 days. I'm yelling at the kids because the are sick of having stuff surrounding them in the car and they keep fighting with eachother. We've all had it.
Needless to say when we get to Minneapolis, we are all happy and excited to be here. Our apartment is great and there are a ton of fun things to do. I even met my new doctors and our hospital is 3 blocks away.
*The people in South Dakota were extremely nice! Almost too nice, where I was getting a little freaked out. Every stop we made from Rushmore to downtown Minneapolis, strangers were giving my kids gifts! Strange old men gave them money at a gas station, they also received cookies, popcorn, bags of chips, toys and candy....all from different stops! I felt like everyone was staring at them AND me for being pregnant with another one. Paranoid? Quite possibly. In Utah, people don't give you a second look with your kids, they are a dime a dozen. In the mall of america (which is a whole other entry in itself), I overheard three elderly ladies commenting on my girls and one said, "and look she's pregnant too." Now I like to think they were saying how cute the girls were because they weren't throwing fits, but I didn't hear. And it also comforts me in thinking, IF they had gifts, they would have offered them to my kids. Not that they might be judging me for having 3 babies. This could possibly be my new way of thinking.... 'that person isn't giving me the evil eye because my 5 year old is throwing a fit in Target. She's just thinking if she has a sucker in her purse to give to her.'



3 comments:

The Piet Girls said...

Cristine! I am so excited you found me. I am addicted to blogging because it is so fun to catch up with old friends. You have a beautiful family. Your girls are adorable. Are you just traveling through the Dakota's for fun? I will add your blog to my home page so I can keep up with you! Congratulations on the new baby! When are you due?

Tami and Kaleo said...

Cris
HAHAHAHAH oh my gosh it sounds like one hell of ride. I can't say I would love to drive that far. but i love the adventures I am going to read about all summer. Im so glad for you. LOVE TAMI ps cant wait to read about Mall of America

Eliza said...

Just so you know... I am stalking. I followed gina here. I hope you don't mind me checking in to read. Blogging is the BEST!

I saw that you live/lived in Utah by me?