Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Yang to my Yin


When Brit and I were first married, I knew there was no one better suited for me in the world! We like everything the same, we laugh at the same things and he could make me laugh until I needed my puffer! All of our similarities were destined for a life long blissful marriage. It wasn't until the differences appeared that threw me for a loop. But, after almost 8 years, it's those same differences that make me love him even more. And it's those differences that have magically changed to similarities for us.
For Example...
We both think it is hysterical when people use curse words in the wrong context, but he hates cursing.....and I sometimes do.
We both like to joke with other people. We pulled a prank just last night on his manager. We said I was in labor and he needed to watch our kids. We saw Indiana Jones. Brit has too pure of a heart to keep the joke up, my heart is black.
His plees used to be, 'can't I just get a normal cookie?' (referring to my health food store cookies), to 'mmmm, these ones are way better than the other ones.'
He always laughs when the kids are throwing fits because it should be funny when they cry for treats, but I can't seem to find the humor yet.
He compliments me for "cooking" the entire time we've been here, and genuinely means it. My cooking has been nothing more than frozen prepared meals. Granted they have been healthy and I do sometimes have to prepare rice or noodles. But he means it.
I like to fight. I will, and have fought about dirty clothes, clean clothes, kids, hair, make-up, cheese, family, name it....I have argued about it. He likes to keep things on a level surface, no waves.
And reasons why I'm glad he STILL loves me....
I am by nature, a grouchy person trying to break free.
Even though sometimes he says I'm not as funny anymore....I'm glad when I can occasionally make him laugh.
I used to really worry about him crossing his toes, that somehow I wouldn't be able to live with someone who could do that!
He doesn't judge me when I want french fries or chocolate cup cakes at midnight. He just gets them.
He has become a lot more accepting of things holistic, organic, herbal, natural, or non-conventional. Although he still teases me that if stores packaged 'organic' poop in cute bags, I would buy it.
He just laughs when I compare most of my body parts to food related things. Pie face, potato head, sausage fingers, jelly roll, cantaloupe knees... just to name a few.
When he watched me eat corn on the cob for the first time, he still wanted to marry me.
And, lately he gets a kick out of me only wearing "soft" pants. Jerry Seinfeld did say it best...'when you wear sweat pants, it's like telling the world, "I give up." But Brit still doesn't judge me, he just blames the baby!
I love you schmoopie!

No comments: